Fulton Avenue was one of the main thoroughfares in the historic district of Lamasco, which merged with Evansville in 1857. Although streetscapes have been altered over the years, traces of Lamasco’s past continue to linger. One example is the Lamasco Bank building, a familiar sight on the southwest corner of Fulton and Franklin, which was erected in 1919.
Along with two adjoining buildings, the bank has survived the
demolition of other commercial buildings in that block, as well
as the two blocks south of it, which included the imposing
Sterling Brewery complex. Lamasco Bank moved across the street
in 1961 and later merged with Citizens Bank, but the original
building at 220 North Fulton remains largely intact and still
houses a business. -